Friday, November 20, 2009

Tools of Great and Terrible

As we move through out this life... we have things and tools... they are either great tools of production or terrible tools of destruction. Each thing is one with two ends of the spectrum...

GREAT <--------------------+--------------------> TERRIBLE

What ever the spectrum is as you see it above, it is either working TOWARDS the great or AWAY. If it is working away then it is working towards terrible. Often times we see it as two sides. The good side and the bad side.

Good / Bad

We have been trained through the A side to perceive it as good vs. bad. It's either good or it's bad. The b side to the truth is it is a spectrum... and it will not set idle. The things on how we use our tools will either be productive or they will be destructive.

As I drove to the office listening to the song "Fireflies" by Owl City, I was hit with an epiphany with our up and growing tool of production known as social media. One of the absolute best resources out there to increase brand name awareness and in turn increase revenue. (In Gary Vay-Ner-Chuck's book "Crush it" he explains the necessity of passion in your social media and I highly recommend reading the book and studying the need of passion. Passion is what makes your true'ness' click and come together.) Here is the warning with social media. I 100% support and I widely use it. As I listened to the song "Fireflies" the line "I like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly. It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep, cause everything is never as it seems." This social media is not always as it seems. The social media must be regulated with the dictates of our own conscience. Here is what I mean by that... ever more are you seeing in restaurants, at the mall, in the theaters, in the business offices, and other places; people with their mobile devices stuck to their hand or their ears. They cannot control their built in mind controlled urge to text, check their blog, tweet their twitter, and post their Facebook.

How do I know this? I have experienced in my own life and I observe it daily in my profession as a Realtor. I see it with our young teens. I watch it take a dad's attention away from a four year old child. I watch as a girlfriend streams tears down her face as her boyfriend spends more time messaging a person in a foreign country. It will destroy lives, it will destroy relationships, but more than that it will destroy our b side, our connection with our self and our God. It will walk one into a mind controlled brain wash and the people will literally FOLLOW their social media leaders to their destruction.

I bring this up so that we may be aware of this great transformation in media and communication that has already begun and will only increase. USE THE TOOL, JUST USE IT WISELY! I recommend creating and having set of standards in which you as an individual will abide by with your social media. It can make you millions, but it can also take away the meaning of life. A life worth living. One can never have a life worth living when they have surrendered their control.

Colton - discover your true'ness'

No comments:

Post a Comment