Monday, March 22, 2010

Take Action

“Don't wait. The time will never be just right.” - Napoleon Hill

We have something that all other living creature lack. The ability to analyze. Which as a whole is one of the greatest advantages that we have over all other species. It gives us the opportunity to learn and to discover and to make decisions. Yet with this ability becomes our weakness. It keeps us often times from becoming doer's instead of sayer's or listener's.

As I work my way through the trenches of the Real Estate World, quickly I have come to realize that our perception of the market is not always reality. Four years ago when I first entered the real estate as a career I would attend board lunches. Once a month all the Realtors in the area gather together to support some cause in the industry. As I would walk around there were tons of these Realtors. They would be driving Escalades or walking around talking to other fellow agents talking about a deal they had been working on or having to answer there phone and run to the hall way. I thought man, I will never make it as a Realtor... all of these guys are so successful and they have nice things. I'm only 21 and have a freakin 1994 Honda Civic and I live with my parents. Great way to go get some real estate business right?

As I moved along this real estate career I found it was all a figment of my imagination. I quickly learned most agents fail out of the business in the first year. The ones that make it through the first year will more than likely fail out of the business the second year. As I was able to squeak through the first two years I have been able to establish a business that I am making a living as a full time agent. Yet as the years pass by, I noticed agents getting out of the business tha seemed to have it figured out. Or so it seemed. As the market shifted the number of licensees rapidly dwindled. I thought to myself... why is this? Why are these agents that are driving these nice cars and so busy they have to always be answering their phones... why are they out of the business?

The answer is simple. The failure to take action. I learned that my lack of knowledge and the fact that I had nothing was my catapult to allow me to succeed in this business. I had no constant referrals coming in or any at all for that matter... yet I went asking for business. I have not become the top agent by any means, yet I learned that we must be doer's and not waiter's. We can quickly convince ourselves we are taking action when really we are doing nothing at all.

Everyday we are bread new ideas and things that we should apply in our life. Keyword... "should". Yet we as human beings, we continually analyze the situation or convince ourselves on why we can't take action. Why we can't do something different. Why we will be better off doing the same thing we are already doing. If you continue to do the same thing... you will continue to get the same result. If you are ok with being just content with life, then continue to do the same thing. If you desire to have a life worth living... I'm talking a drive that makes everyday seem like a glorious opportunity, then start taking action. Start today doing the thing that you have been putting off.

Here is the b side to the truth... the ability to take action must be cultivated and applied. Change is continuous in this existence. In fact it is the only thing that will ever stay consistent over time. So take action now. Not tomorrow, not after the birthday, not after the vacation or after the holidays. Take action today! Right now! As you do this, your desire to take action will increase. And the results will only enhance your life.

Colton - discover your true'ness'

No comments:

Post a Comment