Thursday, August 12, 2010

Love Yourself First, By Jordyn Pebbles

"A person's worth in this world is estimated according to the value they put on themselves." - Jean De La Bruyere

It has recently been shown unto me how important it is to genuinely love yourself; to look at yourself and immediately recognize the positive attributes you constantly contribute. I'm sure that many of us have heard or even given the, "You must love yourself before you love another.." lecture. I personally have heard that saying many times over again, but not until last night did it take a whole new meaning for me.

I have never been a real fan of fighting; there was quite a bit of it in the house I grew up in, and I vowed that I would never let myself be surrounded by such an atmosphere. Yet, yesterday, being stressed from all the joys of life, realizing how far behind on wedding planning I am, and really just being the young stubborn girl that I am, showed nothing but negative energy throughout the whole day.

After hours of a negative mindset and constant fighting from my side, my fiancé just couldn't take it anymore. He then told me something that I wasn't completely aware of; I had actually been acting this way all week. What a miserable situation to be living in! Being as stressed as I was and having such thoughts like "I don't know how to be the perfect wife" "I won't ever look like her" "I just want to make everyone happy", I was leading our relationship by the threads of negative thoughts. This wasn't taking us anywhere productive, yet causing us to fall.

As I look back at the situation I can clearly see that I was struggling with my own self happiness. I wasn't dealing with my best self which meant I couldn't give the best I had to anyone. "You must love yourself before you love another.." now means to me much more than it once did, because I was shown this from example by myself. You can't rely on others around you to make yourself happy, this must come from oneself. Each of us ARE good enough, and we all have amazing things to bring forth.



Jordyn(:
August 12, 2010.

1 comment: