Thursday, August 12, 2010

Half-Assed

"You can't do a half-assed job of cleaning up horse shit." - Bart Lindsay

Growing up on the outskirts of Clinton City I had the privilege of cleaning up horse manure for a half a dozen horses every day during the summer. I hated it more than anything. I would sneeze, my eyes would itch, and by the end I could barely breath by the time I was done. So in order to get done faster, I would only pick up the big piles of manure. It truly is amazing how much feces a horse can produce.

Every day when my dad would get home he would go out to the stalls and examine me and my sisters work. On my sister's day he would go out and when he came in, nothing was said. On my day he would go out and when he came back in he would say, "You can't do a half-assed job of cleaning up horse shit." Next thing I new I was back out cleaning up the new piles that my dad had raked up, clearly to make a point that there was more manure to be cleaned up in the stalls and the coral.

Often times though we blindly live life as Homer Simpson describes it the America Way, "No, no, no, Lisa. If adults don't like their jobs, they don't go on strike. They just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American Way." The funny thing is most individuals look at that previous phrase and say, "Well that's not me." Yet the reality is most things we humans do are half-assed jobs. Why is that? Typically it boils down to our own selfish carnal desires. We have tricked ourselves into thinking, faster is better. The quicker I finish a task, the quicker I can do my next thing, or in reality the quicker I can get to do what is all about me.

The B Side To The Truth is if you're going to do something, do it 100 percent. There is no half-assed method that creates eternal wealth, there is no half-assed way that creates happiness, and there is no half-assed way of living life to the fullest. We must give 100 percent in all that we do or do it not at all.

And remember... "You can't do a half-assed job of cleaning up horse shit."

Colton - discover your true'ness'

1 comment: